Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chicken in Pajamas

Does anyone else have strange names for things?

We always called grasshoppers hoppergrasses. Butterfly was flutterby (after all, they do flutter by, not butter flies!), the white maraya tree that grew around the chimney was the chimney tree, as are all other maraya trees I've seen since then.

I went to lunch with the ladies on Sunday to the Yatch club. Sounds flash, but it's actually a small local affair that's been there since day dot. It won't exist much longer, they'll be "developing the potential" of the site any day now. Such a shame, it's rustic, just like a local bowling club with a beautiful view of the marina, the drinks are cheap and the food is good & reasonably priced as well. Lasagne, chips & salad for $10. You can't go wrong with that. Anyway, enough advertising, nobody in Townsville reads my blog anyway!

It's funny, I get so used to the way I mangulate the English language that half the time I don't even realise I'm doing it anymore. It's not until I speak to someone from a non English background (these guys have trouble understanding most Aussies, we're good for talking in slang & dropping bits off words) but when I ordered lunch the other day I asked for chicken in pajamas. That would translate to chicken parmigana. The lady behind the counter just looked at me and I didn't even realise what I had done until she gave me "the look of confusion". When I translated, she still gave me a bit of a look.

Makes perfect sense to me.

No comments: